Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pickles

Here are the recipes that I use for pickles.

Dill Pickles
  1. Put sprig of dill and one clove of garlic in bottom of wide mouth canning jar (I use pints since we don't eat that many pickles).
  2. Pack with cucumbers.
  3. Pour boiling brine over cucumbers.
    • 1 quart vinegar
    • 2 quarts water
    • 1/2 c. canning salt
    • 1/2 c. sugar
  4. Lid and ring the jars then hot water bath for 10 minutes.
You can refrigerate the extra brine and use it for later.  I started with a double batch of brine this year and made 22 pint jars.

Dill Pickles


Sweet Pickles/Refrigerator Pickles
  1. Cut up one onion and enough cucumbers to fill a gallon jar (or 2-2quart jars or 4-1 quart jars or...)
  2. Make brine:
    • 4 c vinegar
    • 3 c sugar
    • 1/3 c canning salt
    • 1 tsp tumeric
    • 1 tsp mustard seed
    • 1 tsp celery seed
  3. Cover and bring brine to boil and boil for 5 minutes.
  4. Pour over cucumbers and onions.  (Make sure you have the window open since hot vinegar steam seams to sting your eyes pretty good.)
  5. Keep jar in refrigerator.  Should keep for about a year.
Sweet Pickles


If you don't have enough room in your fridge to keep a gallon jar, you can make these in canning jars and hot water bath for 10 minutes.  I use a double batch of brine for 12 pt jars.  I have a little wasted brine, but they my jars are full enough for canning.  I make the refrigerator version for us and process pints to sell.  The processing doesn't seem to effect the crispness too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment