Monday, July 2, 2012

Broccoli

You're getting a lot of broccoli this week.  Check out your From Asparagus to Zucchini book for some ideas of how to use it.  I have found that broccoli doesn't last long in the fridge before it gets strong smelling and tasting.  Broccoli is one of those veggies that we blanch and freeze to use in the winter time.  Here's how you do it...

Freezing Broccoli
Cut broccoli into small to medium sized florets and discard the stalks.  Wash in cold water.  Bring a pot of water to boiling.  (I have one of those pots with the strainer for spaghetti that works perfect for blanching veggies.)  Put broccoli in boiling water, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.  Submerse in cold water to stop the cooking process.  (I have a bowl that fits the strainer part of the kettle that I fill with cold water in the sink.  I just bring the strainer over the the sink and submerge, running cold water til it's all cold.)  Then drain the water.  (Easy with the strainer, just lift out and let the water drain through.)  Bag in freezer Ziploc bags, remove excess air, label and freeze.  It's really easy.  I like to use the pint sized freezer bags.  They make the perfect amount for steamed veggies for a meal for our family.


1 comment:

  1. thanks for all the tips Christine:) i appreciate reading this blog.

    ReplyDelete